I was talking to my manager Laura about my final few months at University and I thought this was conversation worth sharing.
Have you watched the Michael Jordan Documentary on Netflix? Its brilliant, I would recommend watching it. Michael Jordan is an elite athlete who used marginal gains to boost his achievement. Now I am not claiming to be an elite athlete, but Laura was saying if I work on marginal gains in the last few months of my course it could give me the extra boost I need after what has been a tough year.
“The Marginal Gains theory, is based on the work of the hugely successful GB Cycling team and briefly states that if one is able to make marginal improvements in a number of different areas, even a 1% raise in efficiency, skill, understanding etc. then the overall improvement will be substantial.”https://funkypedagogy.com/2013/01/29/marginal-gains-with-controlled-assessments/
So, the small changes I am making….
- Make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
- Eat breakfast before I start my day.
- Go for a walk or a cycle ride at lunch time.
- Investing in a new pen for my notes taking
I would love to hear about what you guys are doing, if I get lots of responses, I could share some ideas next week.
For those of you studying let us all end this year like its ‘The Last Dance’. And for those of you who just need a boost its worth thinking about what changes can be made.
I shared my thoughts with fellow students and their changes included:
- Practicing mindfulness everyday – check out more information on mindfulness on the NHS website.
- Re engage with my NMH support.
- Go on a walk in the morning.
- Try and do some headspace meditation 3 times a week.
- Incorporate more veggies into my meals.
- Really try and make sure I’m away from all screens an hour before going to bed.