Academic Support Workers / Learning Support Assistants can support you with note taking, orientation, sighted assistance and mobility support

Your support

Our Academic Support Workers / Learning Support Assistants have had specialist note taker training to ensure notes of the highest standard. They also receive orientation training in supporting visually impaired students provided by the University of Oxfords Disability Team.

We will:

  • Arrange a face to face meeting to discuss your support and  individual preferences
  • Ask you to advise us on how you want your notes taken
  • Take handwritten notes unless typed notes are specified in your funding approval letter
  • Ensure all Academic Support Workers undertake a spelling test and written exercise at interview
  • Ensure all note takers are trained by an OCN trained Note taker trainer
  • Ensure note takers submit sample notes each term so we can monitor the quality of the notes provided
  • Ask you for regular feedback on your support

When and where?

We will ask you to send us your timetable and highlight the sessions when you would like a note-taker. Our Academic Support Workers discretely introduce themselves to the lecturer/teacher, take notes and hand them to you at the end of the session. It is your preference if you sit next to your note-taker.

Our Academic Support Workers understand the importance of confidentiality and will not disclose any information about you or your support to your teaching staff or peers.

The support can be as discrete as you wish, some of our students prefer notes to be scanned and emailed after the session.


We support students at college and university.


Academic Support Workers are usually funded through the Disabled Students’ Allowances or Access to Work but some people can use direct payments or pay privately. If you use our service we will deal with all the employment issues so you will not have to worry about recruitment and payment of tax and national insurance.

Find out if you are eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances and/or Access to Work?