Applications now open for Monday 30th September 2024 start
The Learning Support Centre has over 20 years’ experience supporting students in Higher and Further Education. Our Level 5 Diploma is a fantastic opportunity to further develop your skills as a disability practitioner and gain a qualification to support students with dyslexia and specific learning differences (SpLD).
Candidates who complete the course will have the relevant qualifications to register as a Specialist SpLD Study Skills Tutor and work one-to-one with students to enable them to develop strategies to improve their academic skills in education and the workplace.
Approved by OfQual and accredited by Gateway Qualifications.
Accepted for following membership to practice as a Specialist Dyslexia Tutor:
The Level 5 Diploma for Teaching Learners with Dyslexia, Specific Learning Differences and Barriers to Literacy will:
- Develop candidates’ understanding of specific learning differences and how they can impact on learning and cognition
- Develop candidates’ understanding of the context of learning and of the national and regional policies which affect SEN and Equality policies and provision within their own workplace
- Develop candidates’ ability to identify and assess the needs of learners with specific learning differences, using observation and evidence-based assessment.
- Develop candidates’ ability to plan, deliver, review and evaluate effective teaching programmes for learners with specific learning differences, in individual and small group settings.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate programmes which include both literacy and numeracy, and understand how difficulties with language and literacy will affect the development of numeracy skills
- Develop candidates’ ability to work with others in supporting learners with specific learning differences
- Develop candidates’ professional values and commitment to professional standards.
The next cohort starts on 30th September 2024 and runs for 12 months, with contact time on a Monday 4-6pm online for 30 weeks.
The course is ideally structured to ensure learners achieve a positive learning experience and provides one-to one tutor support and opportunities for candidates to network with colleagues and experience up to date knowledge on assistive technology and strategies being used by professionals currently working in the sector.
Enrolment is from September 2024 with completion in October 2025. Places are limited so please contact us as soon as possible to book your place.
The following cohort will be starting in January 2025.
Teaching sessions will be delivered Online
Pre-requisites for the course
Candidates will be asked to complete an application form, which includes confirming qualifications and documents specified as entry requirements of the course:
- Photo identification e.g. passport or photo driving license
- Current DBS certificate or registration with the DBS update service
- Level 2 English and Maths (e.g. GCSE grade A-C) or equivalent
- Level 4 teaching or training qualification
- Education to degree level or equivalent
- Experience working in an educational setting.
Candidates who are accepted onto the course and invited for enrolment must provide evidence of their qualifications and produce their documents at that stage.
The Learning Support Centre promotes open access to all qualifications. Candidates who do not have a professional background in education and learning support may find it difficult to access opportunities to generate the full range of evidence required to achieve this qualification. Please contact us prior to application if you have concerns about meeting the pre-requisites of the course.
£2800 Inclusive of VAT
We also offer training on other specialisms:
- Disability support practitioner Induction
- Electronic note taking
- Manual note taking
- Mental health conditions
- Visual impairment and sighted guide.
If you would like more information on the training we offer, please contact us on 0116 2548881 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feedback from our candidates
I would highly recommend this course and I think in my opinion essential to anyone who is working in education.
Excellent support from my tutor and the course director. My tutor was very encouraging and responded quickly to Teams messages. Thank you!
I have learnt so much, and I feel more confident supporting learners in this area of expertise.
The course is set out in very clear units and there are assigned tutors that offer lots of support, guidance, tutorials and feedback to help along the way.
All of the tutors on this course are extremely professional/friendly and have excellent subject knowledge. I feel very supported by all of the staff including the LSC team.